Office of Technology Licensing
OTL is responsible for managing the intellectual property assets of Stanford University for the public good. Below is a short list of OTL's core responsibilities.
- Evaluate promising technologies generated by Stanford faculty, staff, and students.
- Determine intellectual property strategy and manage patent prosecution.
- Market inventions to industry with the goal of finding companies interested in developing products based on the technology.
- Determine licensing strategy and negotiate license agreements with interested companies.
- Build and maintain long-term relationships with the companies who license Stanford's technology.
- Collect and distribute royalties from licensing inventions to companies.
OTL has signature authority on behalf of the University for license agreements, some material transfer agreements, and other agreements that pertain to intellectual property.
For further information regarding Stanford inventions, please contact OTL at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The online disclosure form for submitting new inventions.